Curtiss-Wright Corporation Director, Engineering in Chanhassen, Minnesota
The Opportunity | Director, Engineering
Due to growth, we are seeking an energetic, experienced and well-rounded Director of Engineering to help lead our talented technical team. The successful candidate will be comfortable in a fast paced, multi-site, customer first environment and bring a proven record of accomplishment of success in leading high performance teams through complex innovation and impactful product development projects. Industry experience in electromechanical actuation, precision machinery, robotics, automation, and high power density electric motor markets is required. The position will plan, direct and manage engineering activities associated with the Exlar business unit, including the primary location in Chanhassen, MN and potential additional site(s) depending on organization changes and/or acquisitions.
If you are right for this position, you will bring a passion for building cool devices but see that intensely mechanical products must blend mechanical, electrical, and software boundaries to create the highest value to customers. You must be well rounded as a business leader, comfortable with selling and relentless in motivating diverse teams against time to market and high return on investment goals. This growth position reports to the "CTO" for the Exlar Business Unit and is considered for succession against needs across our company in technical, operational, and sales leadership ladders.
- Provide leadership and direction to the engineering department
- Manage assigned design and development engineering resources
- Manage engineers at all levels. Retain necessary technical competence to engage and understand required technical discussions and resulting decisions.
- Manage the product development process to achieve necessary development objectives and comply with requirements set by the ISO Quality Management System
- Periodically present and/or communicate engineering activities and status to upper management and other cross functional departments as needed
- Work with management to assure the strategic direction of the Engineering Department is aligned with the company's goals and objectives
- Develop annual department expense budget to utilize all engineering resources and meet product and technology development requirements of the company
- Develop annual capital budget to identify capital requirements to establish and maintain the engineering department functions, and also identify and budget for necessary capital to produce developed products.
- Insure the company's intellectual property is properly protected including obtaining applicable patents, disclosures, and non-compete documents
- Work with management to integrate, align and reorganize engineering groups from other existing or newly acquired CW business units that are planned to support Exlar business strategies
- Support Sales Management in developing and retaining key OEM customer via meeting at both domestic and international locations as required and prepare and present to support the agenda as necessary
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering -- Mechanical or Electrical Engineering degree preferred
- Master's Degree in Business Administration preferred
- Recommended minimum of 10 years' experience in managing engineers and/or technical resources and projects
- Accomplished leadership of managing technical resources
- Excellent analysis and decision making skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
This position may require exposure to information, which is subject to US export control regulations, i.e. the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of U.S. regulations.
Curtiss-Wright values diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you require accommodation due to a disability at any time during the recruitment and/or assessment process, please contact Talent Acquisition and we will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate your request.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled