Curtiss-Wright Corporation Senior Analytical Chemist in Louisville, Kentucky
The Opportunity | Senior Analytical Chemist
The Chemistry Lab Manager will be responsible for all aspects of the chemistry department function for the Louisville facility to meet customer needs and expectations. This individual will perform advanced analytical chemistry testing projects, while supervising members of the department, managing the workflow and providing technical leadership, and establish and maintain a high level of customer contact. They will be required to work with fellow scientific, engineering and sales leadership team members to source and develop potential new customers. They will also be responsible for Identifying and implementing improvements, capabilities and opportunities for growth.
- Perform advanced analytical chemistry projects including, but not limited to x-ray diffraction, ion chromatography, scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive spectroscopy. Much of this will be in support of materials characterization and materials-related failure analysis projects.
- Manage the chemistry department staff and workflow to ensure that internal and external customer due dates are met. Ensure optimum utilization of MATware and other IMR and industry technology.
- Organize work areas for efficient maintenance of instrumentation, standards labware and supply inventory.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe, well-equipped, audit-ready chemistry department. Provide analytical support. Run instrumentation and process data as needed.
- Keep abreast of new developments in the field of chemical testing and provide technical leadership.
- Initiate and direct the implementation of improvements to standard operating procedures.
- Evaluate changes to determine whether or not incorporation to standard operating procedure is beneficial to the department.
- Investigate and recommend capital expenditures to enhance the capabilities of the laboratory. Interface with vendors to source and purchase equipment.
- Direct installation of equipment and instrumentation as appropriate.
- Interface with new and existing customers to provide exceptional levels of customer service.
- Conduct customer visits with sales and/or other lab personnel to promote IMR services and capabilities.
- Work with Business Development Manager on marketing activities, leverage technical expertise for professional visibility in the marketplace.
- Address inquiries and review reports with customers, conduct customer tours and audits
- Manage staff in the department. Conduct timely performance appraisals and regular one-on-one meetings. Train new and existing employees as required. Proactively address staff performance issues.
- Coach and develop subordinates for professional growth and succession planning within lab.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related discipline.
- Thorough understanding of the ISO 17025 international quality standard and related audit activities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of a broad range of instrumentation.
- Ability to effectively train peers, subordinates and members of management as necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated teamwork and leadership skills, strong verbal and written communication skills.
- 3-5 years' experience supervising technical and/or scientific personnel.
This position may require exposure to information that is subject to US export control regulations, i.e. the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of U.S. regulations.
Curtiss-Wright values diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you require accommodation due to a disability at any time during the recruitment and/or assessment process, please contact Talent Acquisition and we will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate your request.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled